October 05, 2008

Asher

I went up to Vancouver this weekend to see Asher. I cannot tell you how many hours I could stand by his bed, letting him hold my hand or pull my glasses off of my face. I could watch him sleep for hours. Asher is truly a joy in my life, he has a strong personality and lots of love to give.

As I drove home today I kept thinking of Courtney (Asher's mom). Courtney spends most of her days by his side. She has learned how to change his tubes and how to discern his cries. She has learned how to be patient and have hope. I do not know how I could live for eight months in the neonatal intensive care unit, to be a mother and have to rely on other people to care for my son. But it is clear that Courtney's strength comes from her faith in God's love.

I only hope that when I am a mom, I can hold my children so freely in my arms that there is no doubt that the Lord is the one that is actually holding them.

No comments: